Looking for a weighted vest for your Dog ha? There are so many options out there, but which one to buy and why is it BEST? We have picked the top and Best Weighted Vest for Dogs for your friend, read along to the end to find the best one for your buddy.
These days who aren’t aware of the ‘gram trends’, as they call it. We don’t know about you but we, definitely are and the two things that are trending right now are-baby fever and cute dog videos.
Best Weighted Vest for Dogs
For the sake of this guide, we will have to ignore the former and move on to the latter one hoping you don’t mind. So, here is the thing: if you own a dog and wish your puppy’s videos to go viral on the media it isn’t as easy as it sounds.
At least for the sake of it, your pet has to be a little more healthy and fit. Hence, we have the perfect product for you, dog weight vest.
These weighted dog vests can be used for both training and health purposes. Whichever be your concern these work perfectly fine.
The weighted vests help improve the stamina of all types of dogs. That being said, here we have a list of benefits of using weight vests for dogs:
- For Physical Training: This might be the key for your dog to be healthy and appear fit as well. If you have been trying other ways to add more weight to his body and it didn’t go that well you should give it a try. You can make your dog wear it on normal days as well when you take it for a walk. This product right here will work at those times as well.
- Behaviour Training: Since dogs cannot express what they are going through at times you might misunderstand their anxious behavior as indiscipline but if you make them wear a weighted vest it gives them a hugging feeling that reduces their outburst. Moreover, when they move around the house with these weighted vests it uses up more energy and as a result, they feel tired and seek relaxation.
- Stress relief: Dogs are not just loyal but extremely energetic and active as well. If not doing the proper amount of exercising and physical activity it may surface as physical and mental issues. There are many other benefits of indulging your dog in some serious exercising such as- improved blood circulation, improved brain functioning, obedient behavior, better bonding with the owner, etc.
- Cardiovascular health: It isn’t always easy to take care of your dog especially when all the other stress and responsibilities come in the middle of it. buying a weight jacket for dogs will help you take care of all the health problems you didn’t even know about.
- Competitions: If you are planning to train your dog for competitions and tournaments and have eyes on the winning position this must be on your list. It will help your dog have an edge over other underweight or overweight competitors. For most of the skill tests, they think your dog will have enough muscle mass and endurance for that.
Now, this section was all about why you should get a dog weight training vest but how should you get it?
Do you just go to a store or an online shopping space, select what you like and buy it? We hate to burst the bubble for you but since it is about your pets you will have to be a little extra careful than that.
Hence, here are a few factors you need to consider before getting a puppy weight vest:
- Age: It is advised that a weighted vest should be used only when your dog is older than two years because at that age its muscles are still in the developing period and if you disturb the process by putting on weight it can be extremely dangerous for your dog. But if he is older than that the right way is to first introduce your dog to this concept by adding very less weight and then increasing it gradually.
- Weight and size: As mentioned earlier, the introduction of weights to your dog should be gradually increasing. But where do you start? Experts say the weight with which you start should be around 10%-20% of the dog`s body weight. While buying one of the best-weighted vests for dogs that we are about to mention in this review keep in mind that it should distribute the weight and not concentrate on any particular body part. This can lead to some serious injury.
- Weight positioning: In a weighted vest there are several pockets to store the weight. These pockets are either the standard ones or with a zipper. However, the positioning of the pockets decides the position of the weight, and thus the part where most of the resistance will be felt. Hence, go for the ones which have pockets on the top, the bottom, and even the sides.
- Padding: A enough amount of padding in the weighted vest for dogs essentially has two uses. Firstly, it keeps the dog safe from any kind of injury and secondly, makes it comfortable with the new jacket and getting it used to one.
These factors will help in further filtering of thoughts and deciding what is best for your dog amongst this list of best-weighted vests for dogs that we have right here:
OneTigris Tactical Dog Training Vest
This training vest from OneTigris comes with a harness that will help you to take your dog with you wherever you go. You no longer have to worry about the trail or your dog losing stability because this harness apart from keeping it safe provides extra stability as well.
With mesh padding, a feature we discussed earlier it has made it to our list of the best-weighted vests for dogs. The padding keeps it comfortable for your pet and gives it a hugging feeling while the mesh provides ventilation as well.
This means even if you go on a hiking trip with your dog on a sunny day it won’t be fiery. Made from a 1000D Nylon material that won rub harshly on your dog’s fur and provides comfort.
These vests with harness come in various to fit comfortably. The other features of this dog vest are:
- Several molle webbings to attach any molle compatible medical or water pouch.
- The two-handle design gives the perfect fit.
- Enough space for name tapes, patches, etc.
- Nylon material
- Mesh padding
- Two-handle design
- Molle webbings
- Not that durable
- Padding could have been thicker
Outward Hound Dog Vest
The outward hound vest is a perfect choice for some adventurous yet light hiking with your furry partner. The space in this one is pretty decent and you can store a considerable amount of weight in here.
This particular vest has been designed keeping in mind the fit of the dog so that it doesn’t bounce or fall off. The other features of this weighted dog vest are:
- Storage: For a hands-free run and day hiking this is the perfect backpack and vest for your dog. Store the keys, phone, etc. and you do not need to bother anymore.
- Mesh material: The part of the vest that touches the dog`s body is designed for mesh material so that it acts as ventilation and doesn’t make it sweat. Ths breathable material makes t the perfect pick for day and summer activities.
- Design: the backpack has a sleek and slender design yet enough space to give your dog that cool and sporty look. With such bright colors and reflective piping, it provides extra visibility as well.
- Fitting: The backpack has been designed to fit most of the dog breeds. The fitting is to provide an ultra comfort, enough storage, a trendy look, etc. Now, since it promises to fit in all the dogs it means there is a pitbull weighted vest as well.
- Adjustable straps
- Breathable mesh material
- Bright colors
- Available in different sizes- S, M, L
- Affordable price
- Not durable
- Straps lead to friction and thus can be a little annoying
Ruffwear Dog Backpack
The Ruffwear pack is a day backpack for your dogs. This can be said as a larger and better version of the previous backpack that we mentioned. This can be carried for a hiking trip that is going to last throughout the day or for an even longer period.
It is so because the backpack can store a large amount of weight without making your dog uncomfortable. Other features of the backpack are:
- Comfortable: In most of the vests though the pockets are comfortable the straps can be uncomfortable. But with this one, the handles are padded and maintain an optimum balance.
- Integrated harness and Reflective Trim: the vest comes with an integrated harness and reflective trim which provides leash walking, lifting, pulling, and visibility in a dark environment as well.
- Design: The design of the vest is to carry a maximum amount of weight without compromising with comfort. The pocket is in a saddlebag design for a perfect fit. The stash pockets are very helpful for storing things which you will often need during the trip.
- Sizing: To fit in your dog`s girth perfectly Ruffwear has launched not three, not four, but five sizes variants-XX small, X small, small, medium, and large.
- Lightweight materials have been used
- Comes with reflective trim
- Five size variants
- Non-slip variants
- Very small dogs won’t be able to use it.
- Too much space can fit in a lot of things but that becomes too heavy for the dog
Leerburg Weighted Dog Vest
The Leerburg weighted dog vest is one on the more expensive side but worth of your money. By putting additional weight on your dog during physical activities such as walking, running, exercising etc.
These vests are approved by the expert trainers and thus it won’t help your dog in building muscle mass and improve endurance but also prevent it from any injury that might happen in the course of exercising. Other details of the product are:
- The material used: These weighted vests for dogs are made of Cordura-denier-backed fabric that is heavy, double-stitched, and of premium quality. This fabric will make the vest last longer and perform efficiently.
- Storage: Apart from the premium quality material that has been used in making the entire weighted vest, several pockets are lined with faux sheepskin that is soft and comfortable. It comes in three sizes-small, medium, and large which have eight, eight, and ten zippered pockets respectively.
- The premium-quality fabric has been used
- Enough storage
- Good for training dogs
- Ensures safety
- Little expensive
- Does not hug the body completely
K9 Fitvest, the next addition to our list of best-weighted vests for dogs is a much-liked product of all. The buyers have a lot of good things to say about it. The ratings too speak o the performance.
They say this Fitvest is aptly named since it keeps your dog fit and healthy as long as you know how to use it correctly. Apart from that it also keeps it relieved and calm because it fits them perfectly and gives a warm hugging feeling.
In this way, it keeps them disciplined but active. The other features of the vest are:
- Cooling- Not many weighted vests consider this feature. To provide them with the comfort they have a mesh padding on the back but the K9 Fitvest is a type of cooling vest. The cooling packs are sold separately and thus if you plan on making your dog wear it for a long period this will be very helpful and calming.
- Safety: These Fitvest some with reflective strips as well to spot your dog in the dark. If you take your dog on a long walk with you after that delicious dinner this feature is going to be very helpful for you.
- Fits perfectly and does not slip or irritate
- It helps in building muscle and improving endurance
- Available in six sizes to find the perfect fit for your dog`s breed and size.
- Comes with a reflective strip
- It provides a cooling sensation if used with cooling packs
- Priced appropriately
- If they claim to be a cooling vest the cooling packs should have been included as well
OneTigris Tactical Dog Molle Vest
Buying a weighted dog vest that makes your dog feel uncomfortable and gives an unpleasant experience can do more bad than good. It can serious injuries or the fear of such vests and maybe the next time you buy a better and expensive one but your dog is not willing to wear it.
Then, you will have to walk him into trying it once and then reacting. Isn’t that a lot? Hence, if it is your first time you better invest in a great weighted vest and save yourself from the hassle.
The OneTigris Tactical Dog Molle Vest maybe that perfect buy because of the features we will be listing out here:
- Quality: The material of this vest is a 100D Nylon which is used in top quality weighted vests for us, humans, as well. This type of material ensures longevity and is resistant to dirt, water, abrasion etc. Moreover, it is quite comfortable as well and thus can be used in any weather be it extremely sunny or cold.
- Storage: The pouches in this vest are multi-functional and can be used for various purposes. The EMT pouch can hold small things such as a medical kit, some tissue, etc. EDC pack is for storing some big packets such as treats for your dog, a water bottle, etc. At last, the tool pouch can hold some toys.
- Handles: The vest comes with two grab handles to ensure maximum control and stability and fits perfectly to almost all of the breeds.
- Adjustable: It is advised to measure before ordering so that you get the perfect fit for your dog and are saved from the hassle of return or exchange. This one right here comes in three sizes like most others- medium, large, and X-large.
- Available in three sizes
- Multifunctional pockets
- Detachable pockets
- Offers good breathability
- Little expensive
- If the dog is more than 140 lb it doesn`t fit around the belly
Gooby Fashion weighted vest
This weighted vest which comes as a Bombay quilted weighted jacket for dogs. Due to the design and fit of it, it fits perfectly and gives that warm cozy feeling. Once your dog wears it would not want to try something else for sure.
With five different sizes, it comes in fourteen variants as well which have different colors and some have different patterns as well. This weighted vest truly justifies and makes for that Instagram dog pictures.
The other features of the vest are:
- Stretchable: We must tell you that in this list of best-weighted vests for dogs it is the first time we have something stretchable. To be particular, the bottom of this vest is the part that is stretchable so it makes it easy to fit in and the perfect buy for broad-chested breeds such as French Bulldog or Boston Terries.
- Zipper closure: This again is one of the unique features it comes with and thus gives a tough competition to all the other best-weighted vests for dogs listed here. With the zip closure, it becomes really easy to take off and wear again.
- Designing: The designing of the vest is such that it is not ruined when the dog urinates because it comes with a cut in the bottom. So, you do not have to worry about that part as well.
- Different sizes are available
- Provides warmth
- Perfect for broad-chested dogs as well
- Comes in fourteen different colors
- The zipper could have been of better quality
- The size runs a little small
XDog Weight and Fitness Vest for Dogs
The XDog fitness vest is the right thing to buy when it is about making your dog fit training it or making him ready for any upcoming competition or tournaments.
From the images, it might seem like it is made only for large dogs but to cater to all the shapes and sizes they have six sizes available which are- XX-Small, X-Small, Small, Medium, Large and X-Large.
About the fit, it is believed to fit most of the dogs perfectly without any slipping or bouncing to not interrupt the training session and get it going. It comes with a dog weight harness as well which is soft and comfortable.
There are some other features of this best-weighted vests for dogs as well:
- Weight bags: This vest is most compatible with weight bags that come with it and can be filled with sand for weight training. Metal bars are not advised since they are heavier and can cause serious injuries.
- Lightweight: The material that has been used in the making of this vest is lightweight so that it does not add up to the weight your dog will be training with. In this way, it is portable and easy to carry as well.
- Comfortable fit: ith the alligator clip and velcro it won’t slip from one position to another and provide the perfect snug fit. It secures the vest into place even during heavy or rapid body movements.
- Shoulder weight placement: The company claims to be the only weighted vest that allows your dog to strengthen the front legs for improved speed and take off with weight placement on the shoulders.
- Comes in six different sizes
- It has some cool bright color options as well such as hot pink, blue, green, teal, etc.
- The front shoulder weight placement works
- Is durable as well
- Has weighted harnesses for dogs
- Little too pricey
With the last recommendation, we have successfully covered eight of the best-weighted vests for dogs and should move on to the next section where we answer some of the most frequently asked questions.
What to use in weighted vests for dogs?
Weighted vests for dogs are quite similar to the ones used by us except for the design and weights that you use. Once you have got the correct and experts approved training vest for your puppy its time that you decide the weight that you will be putting in. The weights can be either metal bars or sandbags, the usual ones that are used for our weighted vests. The precautions that you should use while introducing these weights have been mentioned at the start of the article and is helpful. You must start with light weights and then gradually increase them.
Benefits of weighted dog vest?
The benefits of using a dog vest go way beyond just making your dog fit and fact. The second most beneficial point is that it helps in keeping your dog stress free by producing a hormone called endorphin. Most of the dogs love exercising and when they have these weighted vests on they have to overcome more resistance, apply much more force than usual, and thus it keeps them stress-free. Apart from this, it is also responsible for improving cardiovascular health, controlling bad behavior, and the best of all, improve the bond between the owner and pet.
Are weighted vests good for dogs?
Weighted vests are not a luxury or casual addition in your do care but the result and effectiveness are definitely worth the money. About weighing the pros and cons, we have talked twice about the good things but when it comes to the cons they are there but more like precautions. So, if you start using a weighted vest for your dog before he is at least two years old it affects the growth of muscles and bones by applying extra pressure on them. Also, you need to choose the right type of vest for your dog. If you still have doubts you can always consult a veterinarian and see if your dog will be able to handle weight vest training. Their advice is suggestions can be completely relied upon.
How do you make your dog muscular?
The usual things that you do with your dog such as waking to play with toys etc. an do the task of keeping them active and somewhat fit but to ake your dog muscular a training process is necessary. Nothing too fancy but using the correct weighted vest with the right instructions shows results.
What do you fill a weighted vest with?
A weighted vest can be filled with either a sandbag or a metal bar of desired weight. In our last recommendation, we had this vest that used only sandbags since it was designed as such and the company also advised to use sandbags over bars.
Are weighted vest worth it?
t goes the same with all of the purchases that you do. If you are going to buy something for the first time you gather proper information about it, read reviews from different webpages, and then choose your buy. In case of a weighted vest for your dog if you buy the perfect fit with the good qualities such as durability, breathable, sleek design, adjustable, etc. they are worth every penny.