There are many similarities between the Garmin 235 and Garmin 225, but which one of them is better and why? We have mentioned all the similarities and differences of these two and picked the WINNER of this Garmin 235 vs 225 comparison.
If you are on this page it means you are a fan of smartwatches, and why not it does not just show you time, its a “Smart” watch it is supposed to do things that those conventional watches cannot do, it is supposed to be smart, it is supposed to be something more than just a watch.
And this is why it is so popular among us and has an ever growing market that is not seeing a drop in demands anytime soon and that is quite evident when two companies Apple and Samsung enter this market and that is what has brought you here.
A smartwatch is a watch-like device that can be worn on the wrist. This device is a simplified version of a smartphone.
It gives you notifications, offers different types of apps just like your smartphone does, tracks fitness which is one of the major reasons why people buy smartwatches and not to forget tells you time and all of this is just wrapped around your wrist. Well, now you know why it is called a smartwatch.
Smartwatches are not new to the market but because of never-ending additions, it has always caught eyes of gadget freaks.
There are several well-reputed companies that are available in the market known for their smartwatches. There are limitless brands that offer smartwatches and few of those well-known companies are Apple, Samsung, Garmin, Fitbit, Misfit, and Fossil.
Among all these brands that one company that has always managed to make its mark is Garmin, known for its watches this company has too much to offer and that is why we are here to do a Garmin 235 vs 225, both Forerunner 235 and 225 are two best smartwatches that are available in the market by the Garmin and are considerably quite affordable.
Garmin is an American Multinational technology company founded by Gary Burrell and Min Kao in 1989, since then there has been no looking back for this giant.
It has been awarded as a manufacturer of the year in 2017 by National Marine Electronics Association and this was for the third consecutive year and has won 8 product of excellence awards.
The company was introduced into the market through its GPS navigation products for automobile, aviation industry, marine, and outdoor activities and with its ever developing it expanded.
Today it is known for its activity trackers and smartwatches and is one of the most reliable brands in this sector.
Garmin has a great track record, its journey to becoming a global leader began in 1993 when it introduced the world’s first portable GPS (yes it was Garmin to do so) and its journey for the wrist-based product began in 2003 it was not a smartwatch but the first wrist-based GPS trainer.
In 2015 it brought a great innovation in smartwatches Garmin introduced first running watch with heart rate monitor and the watch was Garmin Forerunner 225, one of the watches we are here to talk about. But the question is why Forerunner 235 vs 225 is required?
Garmin 235 vs 225
If you are a fan of smartwatches there is no way you have not heard the name of Garmin Fitness. It is a very well known brand in the smartwatch industry, it provides unmatchable features, performance, and sports specific programs.
And its forerunner series is all about smartwatches, it measures time, distance, speed, altitude everything required by a fitness driven person.
The first model of forerunner series was introduced in 2003 and ever since then it has managed to fix its place in the smartwatch market and is known for its reliable and high-quality products.
Garmin Forerunner 225 was launched in 2015 and it was first Garmin watch that came with a heart rate monitor and in the same year, Garmin Forerunner 235 was launched.
But did that change of numbers really offered something different or was it mere playing with numbers that is what we are going to find out here.
Both of these smartwatches manage to make their space in the market despite their age. That is the reason why we are here to compare two of its well-known products that are Garmin Forerunner 235 and 225.
Here we will be doing an in detail Forerunner 235 vs 225, will compare their features, their specifications, discuss their pros and cons, and then will come to our verdict. So let us start with our Garmin forerunner 235 and Garmin 225 review.
|Garmin 235||Garmin 225|
|Display resolution||215×180 pixels||180×180 pixels|
|Weight||42g (1.5 oz)||54g (1.9 oz)|
|Water Resistant Rating||5ATM||5ATM|
|Dimensions||1.77 in x 1.77 in x 0.46 in||11.3 in x 1.9 in x 0.6 in|
|Pixel Density||201 ppi||204 ppi|
|Battery Life||Up to 9 days||4 weeks|
|More Information||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Running and Cycling Features||Garmin Forerunner 235||Garmin Forerunner 225|
|V02 Max estimate||✓|
|Accelerometer (calculates indoor workouts distance without footpods)||✓||✓|
|Bike speed/ cadence sensor||✓ (optional)|
|Auto Lap (start a new lap automatically)||✓||✓|
|Auto Pause (automatically pauses and resumes timer)||✓||✓|
|Auto Scroll (rotation of data pages one by one)||✓||✓|
|Advanced Workouts ( allows customization of workouts according to requirement)||✓||✓|
|Foot Pod||✓ (optional)||✓ (optional)|
|Heart Rate based consumption of Calories||✓||✓|
|Heart Rate monitor||✓||✓|
|Pace Alert (can set the pace and it will alarm if your vary from the set pace)||✓||✓|
|Time/ distance Alert||✓|
|Total Calories Burned||✓||✓|
|Auto Goal (sets goal automatically according to your previous performance)||✓||✓|
|Sleep Monitor (monitors sleep- total sleep, periods of movements and total restful sleep)||✓||✓|
|Automatic Sync (can automatically transfer all the data to another device)||✓||✓|
|History||200 hours of activity data||200 hours of activity data|
Garmin Forerunner 235 Review
Garmin forerunner 235 is a smartwatch that comes with a circular dial and has a vibrant colorful display. Garmin has tried to keep it light in weight (42 g).
There are 3 color combinations options available, black and red, black and frost blue, and black and grey keeping in mind different color requirements of users.
This smartwatch is not a touchscreen, instead, it comes with 5 buttons on the side, these buttons are used for navigation. Garmin Forerunner 235 has silicone straps that are perforated to make it comfortable.
- Functions: It indicates all the crucial data like distance, heart rate, speed and what not and is extremely comfortable, it can be worn for a whole day without feeling uncomfortable at all.
It tracks all activity related data very well, tracks calories and counts throughout the day and is water resistant too up to 164 feet, so you can easily step into the water without caring about this gadget, however, it does not support swimming tracker which might be a major requirement for some people but it does work in normal watch mode when in water.
- Features: Even though it was launched at the end of 2015, which means it is almost 4 years old now, yet it is a great option to go for because of its numerous advanced features.
Garmin Forerunner 235 comes with several advanced features, it has heart rate monitor just like Garmin forerunner 225 its predecessor but this time the heart rate monitor is of Garmin itself, along with heart rate monitor another added feature is VO2 max which shows the oxygen level that can be processed by the body, basically it measures the maximum effective use of oxygen by the body while exercising.
It is Garmin connect compatible which is an online community where one can share data and can analyze and categorize the data as per the requirements.
Advanced workout options let you customize your workout and goals according to your requirement instead of being totally pre-set.
If your wondering what the perks end up here then you are absolutely wrong, it displays data like texts, calls, calendar and comes with music control also, so if you ever end up with a zero battery on your phone you still have great companion with you which will do all of it for you, maybe not all of it but yes, most of it.
- Accuracy: Garmin Forerunner 235 is quite accurate when it comes to tracking distance, speed, counts, calories, etc but it falls in Heart Rate
- Monitoring. So with forerunner 235, you can not really bid farewell to those chest straps for monitoring your heart rate since it is not that accurate and consistent, it struggles while the user is performing the high-intensity workout.
- Accuracy of GPS: I mean, what else do you expect from Garmin? The company which came into existence with its GPS, the GPS is extremely accurate, it works quite well and does not take much time.
- Heart Rate Monitor: It comes with a heart rate monitor that is on your wrist, it might not be a very shocking thing as of now but considering it was launched in 2015 it was not something that was found in every smartwatch. So with Garmin Forerunner 235 one does not require to wear chest straps while working out.
- VO2 Max: As explained earlier it has a VO2 max predictor that helps in tracking progress. It gives information about the amount of oxygen your body is able to utilize efficiently. This is one major Garmin 225 vs 235 difference since Garmin Forerunner 225 does not have VO2 Max.
- Features: Advanced features like Finish Time, History, Pace Alert, Time Alert, Recovery Time, Race Predictor work quite impressively and are very helpful.
- Water Resistant: Garmin Forerunner 235 is a water-resistant smartwatch so you can completely forget you are wearing a watch while you are in water because this watch can bear it all up to 164 feet. the water resistance is of 5 ATM which is quite impressive.
- Heart Rate Monitor not accurate: The problem with heart rate monitor is that it is not accurate and is not able to give correct data for a high-intensity workout. Chest strap still remains a better option.
- Not for Swimmers: Even though it is water-resistant sad part is that it does not track you when in water the only thing it can do in the water is showing time.
Garmin Forerunner 225 Review
- Design: Garmin Forerunner 225 is a well-recognized smartwatch in the market that gives a very sporty look, very much expected from a Garmin watch.
Forerunner just like its successor is a classic round-shaped smartwatch and has a silicone strap which is quite comfortable and sweat-proof but silicone strap is something that is not liked by everyone.
The display supports vibrant colors and is a sharp LCD display. It definitely is a lightweight watch but when compared to forerunner 220 and forerunner 235 it has few added grams.
The watch has huge buttons on the sides for navigation, it comes with 5 buttons since it does not support touchscreen display, yes you heard it right, it does not support touchscreen display, this might or might not be a matter of concern for some people since many people do prefer buttons instead of touch on their smartwatches for easy use.
- Functions: Garmin Forerunner 225 still is a great option for runners and does provide a lot of major features that are required.
This watch automatically sets goals based on your previous performance, it reads the activity level and sets the goal accordingly and has pace alert which alarms you if it finds any variation from the present pace. It also comes with automatic sync so you can easily transfer the data from your forerunner 225 to another device.
- Features: The screen is customizable and the information is displayed in a crisp manner making it very convenient and very easy to use.
Garmin Forerunner 225 is an advanced version of forerunner 220 which lacked optimum heart rate monitoring. Forerunner does not have V02 so it can not tell the maximum oxygen that is being used efficiently by your body which might be a requirement for many.
- Accuracy: The heart rate monitoring happens without chest straps and is quite accurate, it uses an optical light sensor which goes into the skin and allows an electro-optical cell to detect heart rate and pulse volume.
All in all Garmin Forerunner 225 was a great watch when it was introduced without any doubt but might not be the first choice of people in 2019 when the market has even more advanced options available. However, it does fulfill the basic requirements and can be good for many.
- Heart Rate Monitor: The Heart Rate Monitor is available in this smartwatch so you do not have to wear a chest strap for monitoring your heart rate. This Heart Rate Monitor is a lot more accurate than that of Forerunner 225.
- Advanced Features: Forerunner 225 offers many advanced features like auto-lock, auto-scroll, auto lap, other advanced workout options, accelerometer comes with a customizable screen and keeps a record of the data.
- Automatic Sync: This smartwatches automatically transfers all the information to the devices like computer.
- Indoor Tracking: This smartwatch can actually track your indoor work out quite well, so if you prefer to workout indoors, prefer using treadmills more this one will show quite accurate data and will not disappoint you at all.
- Might need Chest Strap: The Heart Rate Monitor is quite accurate but for those who do intense workout it still is not enough, which means people who go for high-intensity workouts will require a chest strap
- No VO2 Max: This watch is not equipped with VO2 Max, while on the other hand forerunner 235 has it and it works very well.
- Cost: The price that has to be paid for this watch is a bit high when we compare it to the latest smartwatches that do offer many more advanced features at this rate.
- Not for Swimmers: This watch is simply not for you if you are a swimmer, it definitely is a water-resistant watch but does nothing another water other than displaying the time.
So here we come to the verdict of Forerunner 235 vs 225. Through this Garmin Forerunner 235 and Garmin 225 review, it is clear both of these smartwatches come with quite adequate features that are generally required. Both watches are durable and reliable without any question.
This Garmin Forerunner 225 vs 235 has a clear winner and the winner undoubtedly is Garmin Forerunner 235, it is an advanced version of Garmin Forerunner 225 and that was quite evident through Garmin 225 vs 235 difference.
It comes with Glonass to make sure that the activity is tracked accurately, has VO2 Max, design is great, is very comfortable and can manage to compete with many new smartwatches in the market all of these added features comes in a minimal price hike so it absolutely fine to give just a few more dollars for a product that is a lot more advanced.